Thursday, July 21, 2011

STOP! Grammar time!

Insert MC Hammer dancing here...

Okay, it's been awhile. More than a month, actually. I got caught up in other classes/assignments/basically life in general. But I'm back to hopefully crank out a few more posts before I get distracted again.

One of the things that is a major pet peeve of mine is poor grammar. I guess it comes with the territory of being an English teacher, but I can't help but cringe when I hear or see a blatant error. I try not to be too obvious with my cringing, for fear of people becoming worried to speak around me, but sometimes I can't help it.

Take, for instance, the teaser clip that is currently playing for the new season of Jersey Shore. I know, I know--it's Jersey Shore. And while I can avoid the show, I can't always avoid the commercials. Hence, I get to hear the lovely J-Woww state in her beautiful New Joisy accent, "I'm going to teach an Italian guy English good."

While JWoww is obliterating the English language in Italy, fellow grammar nerds are debating over the use of the Oxford comma. While I've never counted students off for either including or not including the Oxford comma, I think it's important that they can use a comma correctly in their writing. Though I do have to admit, I did not appreciate or understand grammar quite as much until I taught it.

Final grammar thought. Check out the tshirts for our English department:

FRONT

BACK

Unfortunately, not everyone got the joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment